International & Offshore
One of Maitland’s core practices is international and offshore work and it is one of the prominent sets in this area, being ranked in tier 1 in Chambers UK Bar Guide. Our barristers regularly appear as advocates before foreign courts and tribunals from first instance through to the higher Court such as the Privy Council; as well as appearing on all forms of ADR and provide expert evidence of law in foreign proceedings.
Our international and offshore work draws on our broad range of specialist skills from:
- Cross-border insolvencies, Funds and other investment vehicles work
- Commercial disputes
- Fraud, asset-tracing and recovery, (including world-wide freezing orders/injunctions), both contentious and non-contentious Trust, Company disputes, including breaches of duties by directors
- Commercial disputes
- The variation and operation of offshore/non-UK trusts
- Advice and drafting in non-contentious matters, for example in structuring/restructuring offshore trusts, companies, partnerships and other corporate structures, including related tax considerations
- Breaches of duty by directors, officers and trustees
- Professional negligence claims
- Shareholder and joint venture partner disputes
- Disputes about jurisdiction and the enforcement of judgments/arbitration awards worldwide
Our experience in all of these areas means that we bring cross-disciplinary expertise to complex matters.
Our barristers are called to the local Bar either on an ad hoc or temporary admission basis, for example in the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Belize, Grenada, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands, and other parts of the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Brunei and the Isle of Man. All of our barristers have rights of audience in the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights.
We have been involved in arbitrations and other tribunal hearings ranging as far afield as Singapore, New York, Zurich, Paris, Milan, Luxembourg and Stockholm. A number of Judges who sit outside the UK (including in the Eastern Caribbean, the Cayman Islands and the DIFC) have been known to us professionally for many years. Several of our senior barristers sit as fee-paid judges themselves not only in the UK but also offshore.
Maitland Chambers is recommended in the top-tier of Chambers UK Bar Guide and Chambers Global.