Corporate, Partnership & Personal Insolvency
Maitland is and for many years has been ranked in the Legal 500 and Chambers UK Bar Guide as a leading set in insolvency.
Our barristers provide advisory and representation services in relation to all aspects of corporate, partnership and personal insolvency law including:
- pursuing and defending bankruptcy and winding-up petitions and applications for all other types of insolvency arrangements
- matters arising in liquidation, administrations, receiverships, partnership insolvencies, bankruptcy, individual and company voluntary arrangements
- directors’ disqualification proceedings
- challenging decisions at meetings
- cross-border insolvency issues, such as those arising under the EC Insolvency Regulation (including COMI), the Cross-Border Insolvency Regulations 2006 and the scope of section 426 of the Insolvency Act 1986.
We have been involved in cases arising out of some of the biggest recent insolvencies, including Fairfield Sentry and other Madoff litigation, Lehman Brothers, Farepak, the Icelandic banking crisis litigation (such as Kaupthing, Icesave, Landsbanki, Glitnir), MF Global, BCCI, Barlow Clowes and Enron.
Insolvencies regularly throw up complex issues crossing a wide range of legal disciplines including company law, fraud, trusts and property rights. Maitland is particularly well placed to provide this multi-specialism advice.
Our clients include creditors (secured and unsecured), debtors, insolvency practitioners and government departments and ministers. We are also involved in free representation schemes for litigants in the Chancery Division; members regularly act in insolvency matters under the PILARS and CLIPS schemes.