Rebecca Stubbs QC
Rebecca practices principally in the fields of company and insolvency and restructuring law, with expertise in the fields of banking, financial services and civil fraud and asset recovery. She is recommended in Chambers UK, Chambers Global and The UK Legal 500 for company, commercial Chancery litigation and insolvency.
In the UK, Rebecca appears in the High Court (in both the Chancery and Commercial Divisions), Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and Privy Council, as well as in mediations and arbitrations. Internationally, she is called to the Bar of Grenada and the East Caribbean and has appeared before the Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court. She is also admitted to practise in the courts of the Dubai International Finance Centre (DIFC).
Prior to taking silk, Rebecca was recognised as one of the leading juniors in her fields of specialism. She was named “Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring Junior of the Year” (Chambers and Partners Bar Awards) in 2009 and was nominated for the same award, and for the “Chancery Junior of the Year” Award, in 2011.
Her recent cases include:
- Acting for the former owners of Liverpool FC in attempting to prevent the sale of the club against their will at what they maintain was an undervalue.
- Advising a major property developer in relation to the interplay between an adjudication award made pursuant to the Scheme for Construction Contracts and administration.
- Acting for Kaupthing Bank hf in relation to a structured finance arrangement based on a prepaid forward.
- Advising and acting for the joint administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) on client money and currency issues.
- Advising and acting for the administrators and liquidators of Global Trader (Europe) Limited in connection with issues arising out of MiFID, the FSA’s CASS Rules, the insolvency regime, contractual deduction and set-off, and the proper interpretation and effect of ISDA Master Agreements with prime brokers.
- Advising in relation to the meaning and effect of the Landsbanki Freezing order, the Banking Consolidation Directive, Directive 94/19 on Deposit Guarantee Schemes, and the operation of the FSCS.
- Advising a counterparty of Kaupthing, Singer & Friedlander about the interpretation and effect of a TBMA/ISMA Global Master Repurchase Agreement.
- Advising a major UK bank in relation to a negative basis trade in circumstances where the bank acquired the CLO but the counterparty to the CDS and the financial guarantee used the credit crunch as a reason to refuse to proceed.
- Advising the Law Society in connection with the interplay between the regulatory provisions and the granting of security and the onset of insolvency.
- Advising and representing DEFRA in the claim brought by a foot and mouth contractor seeking to rescind a settlement reached after mediation in 2003 on the grounds of economic duress.
- Advising and acting for a London Borough Council in asset recovery action following a multi-million pound fraud committed by a former employee.
She serves on the Bankruptcy and Companies Court Users’ Committee, is one of the consulting editors of French on Applications to Wind Up Companies and contributes to Butterworths Guide to the Legal Services Act 2007.
Chancery Bar Association (and a member of its Equality and Diversity Committee); COMBAR; Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association; Recovery and Insolvency Specialists (Cayman) Association; Financial List Users' Committee; A4ID; FRSA; Bencher, Middle Temple
MA (Cantab) First Class