His practice primarily involves litigation and advisory work related to real estate. In particular, all aspects of commercial and residential landlord and tenant (including leasehold enfranchisement), real property matters, insolvency law (personal and corporate) in a property context, and property-related professional negligence (solicitors and property/finance related professionals). His practice also includes matters such as probate, partnership, unincorporated associations, and finance, in particular when they arise in a real estate context.
In the last year he has appeared in the Court of Appeal, the Commercial Court, the Chancery Division, the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) and the First-Tier Tribunal (Leasehold enfranchisement).
He is also known for non-litigious advisory work in the same fields.
He has for many years been noted as a leading junior counsel in Property Litigation or Professional Negligence by both Legal 500 and the Chambers UK Directory and is noted for Property/Real Estate Litigation in the 2015/16 Editions. In 2014 Michael was awarded 'Barrister of the Year' at the Enfranchisement Awards.
- Hauser v Howard de Walden Estates Ltd  UKUT 597 (LC) (leasehold enfranchisement, relativity, flying freeholds)
- Deutsche Bank Suisse SA v Khan & Ors  EWCA Civ 1149 (mortgage possession, re-entry after enforcement of a warrant, full and frank disclosure)
- Deutsche Bank (Suisse) SA v Gulzar Ahmed Khan  EWHC 1020 (mortgage possession, costs liability, consequential orders)
- Deutsche Bank (Suisse) SA v Gulzar Ahmed Khan  EWHC 482 (mortgage possession, misrepresentation, consumer law, loan agreement)
- Benesco v Kanj  EWHC 3415 (Ch) (permission to appeal summary possession order)
- Hortense Littlewood v David Radford  1 P& CR 18 (CA) (professional negligence, leasehold enfranchisement, failure to apply to LVT in time-limit)
- Crooks v Newdigate Properties Ltd  C.P. Rep. 34 (joint liability, payments under consent orders)
- Risegold Ltd v Escala Ltd  2 P&CR 1 (CA) (whether easement of entry for rebuilding or renewal permitted development)
- Cadogan v Sportelli  1 WLR 2142 (CA) (leasehold enfranchisement, deferment rates, hope value)
- Ultimate Leisure v Tindle  1 P&CR DG11 (CA) (option to buy, business tenancies, security of tenure)
- Meretz Investments NV v ACP Ltd  Ch. 197 (CA) (conspiracy, abuse of process, estoppel, mortgagee’s powers, residential development)
- Re Edwards  WTLR 1387 (setting aside will for fraud)
- Walbrook Trustees (IOM) Ltd v Liberty Centre Trustee No. 1 Ltd (2007, ChD Mann J, Unreported) (injunction to restrain self-help remedy for breach of covenant in shopping centre refused)
- Kilmartin SCI (Hulton House) Ltd v Safeway Stores  1 EGLR 59 (specific performance, agreement for lease, RICS code of measuring practice)
- Slamon v Planchon  Ch 142 (CA) (collective enfranchisement, resident landlord exemption)
- First Penthouse Ltd v Channel Hotels and Properties (UK) Ltd  L&TR 27 (CA) (assignment, breach of covenant, consent, landlord’s powers)
- Aylesford & Co ( Estate Agents) Ltd v Al-Habtoor  1 P&CR DG11 (agent’s entitlement to commission)
- Aubergine Enterprises Ltd v Lakewood International Ltd  1 WLR 2149
- Paragon Finance Plc v Various Solicitors  (managed litigation, multiple lender claims against solicitors)
- Nationwide Building Society v Balmer Radmore  (managed litigation, multiple lender claims against solicitors)
Chancery Bar Association