Edward joined Chambers in October 2015 and has since developed a practice that encompasses a wide range of areas, including commercial, chancery, company, insolvency, real property, and intellectual property matters. He regularly appears unled in the County Court and in High Court applications and also has experience working as part of a large legal team on particularly complex disputes.
Edward recently completed a secondment with a Chinese firm in Hong Kong during which time he acted as co-counsel in a multi-million-dollar HKIAC arbitration between joint venture partners. Since returning to Chambers, Edward has been back to Hong Kong to make oral closing submissions in that arbitration and now maintains an ongoing professional relationship with the firm in Hong Kong.
Examples of recent work include:
Arbitration and mediation
- Co-counsel in multi-million-dollar HKIAC arbitration proceedings regarding the circumstances in which a European shareholder of a Hong Kong company sought to end its cooperation with its joint venture partner. Edward participated in the parties’ mediation and subsequently appeared at the arbitral hearing, making oral submissions and examining the expert witnesses.
Commercial litigation and contractual disputes
- Advised a company in relation to a potential claim for compensation under the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993.
- Assisted Benjamin John in relation to an advice regarding the viability of a contribution claim by a bank against a former employee.
- Acted for the Defendant in the trial of a misrepresentation claim relating to the sale of a Bentley car.
- Worked as part of a large legal team defending a claim alleging that USD 300m was payable in carried interest upon the liquidation of a BVI limited partnership holding assets formerly owned ultimately by Boris Berezovsky and others.
Company and insolvency litigation
- Acted for officeholders resisting an application by former directors of a company for further information in the context of an application by the officeholders for relief under ss.212 and 238 / 239 of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Assisted David Mumford QC in relation to a claim to recover allegedly unlawful dividend distributions in order to satisfy potential indemnity liabilities arising out of environmental contamination in the USA.
- Edward regularly appears in the Companies Court winding up list on behalf of petitioning creditors.
- Advised a UK publishing house in relation to a copyright claim brought by a photographer regarding certain images of a famous popular singing group.
- Drafted pleadings in a claim by tenants against their landlord for damages for disrepair.
- Acted for a tenant in its opposed application for the renewal of a business tenancy in South-West London.
- Edward has also appeared in possession hearings, acting for a local authority landlord against squatters and defending mortgage repossession proceedings.
Edward read History at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, before attaining his GDL and BPTC qualifications. In the year before pupillage, Edward was a stagiaire to Judge Vajda at the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg, worked as a research assistant to Lady Justice Gloster in London, and completed a short placement in the Private Secretary’s Office at Buckingham Palace.
E Granger, ‘Sweating Over An Implied Duty Of Good Faith: Yam Seng Ptd Ltd v International Trade Corp Ltd’ (2013) Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly 418
E Granger and J Goodwin, ‘Secret Profits, Opportunities, and Constructive Trusts: FHR European Ventures LLP v Mankarious’ (2013) Restitution Law Review 85-92
E Granger and J Goodwin, ‘Where there’s a will there’s a way: Marley v Rawlings and another’ (2015) Modern Law Review 140-150
BPTC, Kaplan Law School: Very Competent
GDL, City University: Distinction (1st in year)
MA (Cantab), History, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge: Double First (1st in College)
Advocacy Scholarship (Kaplan Law School, 2013)
Princess Royal Scholarship (Inner Temple, 2012)
3 Verulam Buildings Prize (City University, 2012)
UK Supreme Court Blog Essay Prize (2012)
Times Law Essay Prize Runner Up (2012)
Princess Royal Scholarship (Inner Temple, 2011)
James and Andrew Makin Prize (Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, 2011)
Senior Scholarship (Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, 2010)
Chancery Bar Association